วันเสาร์ที่ 19 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Volcano Movie and Me

As many of my close friends and associates may already be aware of I have currently returned to school in an effort to obtain a degree in Emergency Management. I had previously taken a large number of FEMA classes on location as well as online in an effort to hone up my knowledge of emergency actions. You may ask why I would even want to do such work. The answer is simply I enjoy the thought of working at a job that offers me a degree of satisfaction and I feel that I can best contribute something useful to the emergency actions program as well.

This past evening I was comfortably sitting on the sofa watched the 1997 movie release entitled "Volcano". If you think back you will recall this movie as the disaster video which theoretically took place in the center of Los Angeles. According to the script this undetected underground volcano was effectively making short work of the city as it destroyed everything that came into its path. The showed featured the fabulous acting talents of Tommy Lee Jones who played the role of Mike Roark. Roark was the director of t4eh LA city emergency operations. During disasters he would ultimately have the final decision on what does and does not get accomplished under the name of disaster management. He was the man in charge of determining what actions the various agencies would take to combat this threat to their city.

As I watched the TV show it displayed how Tommy Lee would rattle off orders and in general how he handled the emergency situation. Most of the time Tommy Lee's actions called for making instant split second decisions which often involved life or death situations. I wondered than as I watched him in action if when my time came to do so, would I be able to act in such a proficient manner as he had.

Don't get me wrong as I have handled my share of instant decisions while employed with Uncle Sam in the military environment. This however made me take a double look at my role in emergency management. It certainly made me think seriously as to whether I could actually initiate those vital decisions which affect so many other lives. I realize that this predicament was nothing more then a mere Hollywood movie and the actual concept were skillfully picked from the figment within some writer's imagination but the ideas are still setting deeply within my mind.

By the end of the movie I realized that these people had an enormous task at protecting the safety and wellbeing of our people. They may not always make the right decisions but I am sure that at the time they seem to be the proper course of action. Hopefully I can do as well if and when my time arrives.

By Joseph Parish




Copyright @2010 Joseph Parish
http://www.survival-training.info

For more information relating to survival visit us at http://www.survival-training.info

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น