วันพุธที่ 16 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Discovering Nature Along the Hudson River in New York City

On a warm June afternoon, I'm on a balcony in Lower Manhattan, watching the choppy waters of the Hudson River ahead of an impending thunderstorm. The lush willows and basswoods are tall enough to block New Jersey buildings and the light breeze off the water carries the scent of basswood flowers. This urban environment has evolved from a weed-strewn rubble heap (created when the World Trade Center was built) into a well-designed living complex for the birds, squirrels, pets and humans who live here.

I don't know who decided to plant native trees, shrubs and ground cover here, but the plant life is thriving. I shared a feast of shadbush berries, one of my favorite wild edibles, with a squirrel and a pigeon. I watched a house finch feed its newly-fledged chick. What is most striking is how wildlife has the freedom to ignore humans. This would be dangerous behavior anywhere else but Manhattan Island.

I moved to New York in 1976 and lived in the city until 1996. Most of that time I was on Elizabeth Street near the Liz Christy Garden, where I was a gardener for several years.

I would not have survived without that garden, now re-opened to the public after two years. A few of the same gardeners are still around. This garden has survived relentless attempts to destroy it, including the high rise now looming behind it and (fond as I am of them) a Whole Foods across the street, which will block sunlight to the garden. The tiny birch tree is huge and the atlas blue cedar survived. Different plants will grow in this enduring sanctuary. I wrote a Liz Christy tribute in 1995. I feel equally passionate walking through this modern miracle 11 years later. I would consider my live well lived if I had a legacy like that of Liz Christy.

I can walk a lot faster and farther on paved surfaces than on the trail. I still have muscle memory of New York streets, although many shops have changed location. I can walk along the Hudson River all the way up the island, thanks to a bicycle and a pedestrian lane.

I've seen a squirrel sitting on a bench sharing food with three people. In another park a squirrel nibbled a walnut while posing for an artist. The artist had a tray of walnuts; the squirrel would take one, hop ten feet away and literally resume its pose, spinning the walnut and nibbling the meat. In most other places the squirrels run away once they've gotten their treasure. Robins, sparrows and finches go on about their daily lives with no fear of joggers, dog walkers, toddlers, strollers, or traffic. There's a surprising poetry to this habitat.

I've been meditating on the issue of sprawl and it occurs to me that a well-designed city might be the answer to protecting habitat. The key words are WELL DESIGNED. As I explore one of the best walking habitats in the world, I notice that some city parks are designed for dog walking, others are dog-free. Some green spaces have sprinklers, a welcome respite from heat so oppressive that a stagnant air advisory is in effect. In some parks families picnic, children romp, artists paint, draw, sing. I guess limited space forces people to make sensible use of what they have.

I'm struck by the number of people who stop me to ask where Ground Zero is. I remember visiting New York City with my parents as a child before those towers were built and I remember what I was doing both times the towers were bombed: February 26, 1993 and September 11, 2001.

Five years ago the Battery Park City Parks Conservancy began offering free music and art events. On this visit I sat by the Hudson on a cloudy morning attempting to capture the color of the Hudson using watercolors. I joined 75-100 people all sitting on a lawn singing popular songs while a raging red sunset changed the color of the river.

Change is constant and there's a resiliency about New York that is truly heart-warming.




Freelance writer JJ Murphy helps companies, small businesses and individuals express the benefits of their green products and services.

She earned her MA from the William Allen White School of Journalism, University of Kansas and her BA from the University of Connecticut. JJ's client list includes writers, business consultants, motivational speakers, psychologists, financial planners, educators, and politicians.

Visit her website http://www.WriterByNature.com for writing samples, articles, wild food recipes and more information, including JJ's favorite places for gear and supplies.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น