วันอาทิตย์ที่ 3 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2554

In the Shadow of the Volcano - World Poetry

We have always lived
in the shadow of the volcano,
looming on the horizon,
like a sleeping, smoldering furnace,

like a fierce warrior-
that suddenly promises to rise
beautiful, billowing smoke rising gracefully,
ascending-

from within its folds,
clouds of escaping heat,
earth's boiling overloads
in the morning,

Dawn-
painted powder blue,
charcoal gray
in the evening,

Sunset-
painted gold hues,
end of the closing day
the volcano hasn't erupted-
in many years,
but still my heart
has lingering fears

when the roof was once-
covered in ash,
I wasn't sure
the city would last

like a voice from the past,
like my heart beating fast,
like something I can never forget

but the head of the volcano
returned to its shell,
and the town we have grown to love
remained-
us as well

we have always lived
in the shadow of the volcano,
every morning I rise,
eat breakfast
go to school

I always lift my head on the way,
to see if the mountain
is hot or cool,

when I disappear
into the walls where I study all day,
I worry sometimes
considerably-

how long we can continue
to live this way
we have always lived
in the shadow of the volcano

when I eat my tortillas for lunch,
yellow, white or blue corn,

I hope and pray we are on this earth
for a long time-

I hope to see
the Mexican sun
continue to shine

I dream of being a doctor one day,
-and I would help all of the children,
someplace very far away
the town that goes about its business-

busy hive of bees,
but in the air is a smell-
strangely unique
the city at times
is most serious,

twitching like a baton,
conducting a song
strange and mysterious
an eagle ready to dive-
a baby ready to cry, sharp-

like the cutting of a knife
the volcano reminds me
of the preciousness of life,
of using each day wisely
the turning hand of time

we have always lived
in the shadow of the volcano
I stay in this town
because I have nowhere else to go,
it is our only home.

Popocatepetl, Mexico




Dawn of a New Discovery: Inspiring World Poems
This is a small collection of poems, original and from several sources, that is hoped to inspire interest in writing and reading poetry. The poetry presents a kaleidoscope of ideas concerning lands, spirituality, children and youths, oppression and violence, school life and struggles, as well as painting a picture of hope.

Dawn Discovery-World Poetry

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น